Who are we?
Loughborough based Ashmount & Encompass Alliance is a School Direct ITT partnership working with The University of Derby to train high quality primary teachers. Ashmount School is our lead school and is designated as a national teaching school. The partnership is built on the foundations established by Loughborough Encompass Partnership’s Graduate Teacher Programme which was established over a decade ago to contribute to the teaching workforce in Loughborough. It has a strong track record in terms of DfE data in the employability of its trainees – its statistics are amongst the best in the sector. Many former trainees now work as mentors with our current trainees.
Ashmount & Encompass Alliance is guided in its work by a strategic management committee comprising headteachers with extensive ITT experience. The original mission statement for Loughborough Encompass Partnership was ‘To train high quality primary phase teachers by recruiting the highest quality candidates available enabling them to achieve their full potential as newly trained teachers through training involving high quality partnership schools and a high quality central training based programme all under the active management of a committed provider...’ The currency of that aspiration remains as the partnership seeks to move forward through the School Direct scheme.
What the Alliance Offers:
- established expertise in training successful primary teachers;
- a strong personal tutoring system;
- the benefits of a small tightly led and administered organisation;
- academic and professional education and training from an outstanding university provider;
- access to a range of good and outstanding schools with extensive ITT experience in the East Midlands;
- placements in two contrasting contexts;
- placements in Special Schools;
- the opportunity to gain academic awards – QTS, PGCE and 60 M level credits.
The application process
All applications must be made via the centralised UCAS portal. Applicants should register on the UCAS website http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training/filling-in-your-application. Once registered, applicants should select Ashmount School as the lead school
provider ID 195. For more information please see the Selection Process section of this website. The portal for 2015-16 will open in November 2014 please check the DfE website for more details.
Ashmount & Encompass Alliance is committed to attracting trainees from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, men and women, mature candidates, and those from under-represented groups. Many applicants will already have had significant experience of working with children or young adults, possibly as Teaching Assistants or in a voluntary capacity. Applicants often come from widely differing commercial or industrial backgrounds or other areas of the public sector and it is recognised that they have the potential to bring valuable transferable skills and knowledge into the profession with them.
Why train with the Ashmount & Encompass Alliance?
- The Ashmount & Encompass Alliance comprises a consortium of schools in the East Midlands, led by Ashmount School, with considerable experience and expertise in initial teacher training. The University of Derby, with its outstanding reputation in the field of initial teacher education and training, is the consortium’s higher education partner. University tutors will contribute to the academic and professional guidance available to trainees.
- Together with our partner schools, we have a proven track record in school based initial teacher training. We have 23 trainees currently on the School Direct programme and have over ten years’ experience of initial teacher training through Loughborough Encompass Partnership’s GTP.
- According to Teaching Agency statistics, our trainee retention and employment data is amongst the best in the sector.
- We have access to a diverse range of outstanding and good schools.
- The University of Derby, which will have responsibility for quality assuring the programme and delivering the M level curriculum, is an outstanding and highly experienced provider of initial teacher education and training.
What will the training involve?
- The training will last for an academic year starting in August and will involve considerable school based experience, typically four days a week, supported by a University Link Tutor
- Trainees will spend Terms 1 and 3 in their main school focusing on a specific key stage and will train in a contrasting context and key stage during Term 2.
- Central training and M level teaching will be scheduled for one day a week throughout the year and will take place in Loughborough and at the University of Derby.
- All trainees will work with an experienced mentor.
- All trainees will spend one week in a special school.
What personal attributes, qualifications and experience are we looking for?
- Applicants should have motivation, commitment, resilience and an ability to inspire a love of learning, as these are key characteristics of successful completion of an initial teacher training programme and subsequent career progression.
- Applicants will need to have GCSE grade C minimum (or equivalent) in English, maths and science;
- Applicants will be expected to have, or anticipate being awarded, a first degree at a minimum of lower second class honours;
- Applicants should have a minimum of twenty days recent observation and/or employment experience in primary schools;
- Applicants should be aware that DfE skills test passes in mathematics and English are an entry requirement.
How is the programme financed?
- Our 25 places are non-salaried.
- The programme fees are £9,000.
- Training bursaries of £9,000 for candidates with a first class degree and £4,000 for an upper second are available. Trainees can also access maintenance grants (see DfE website for further details - http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding).
Links to our Partners.